Caribbean Recipe Of The Week – Bread Pudding
News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. April 7, 2017: Easter is coming and will be a time again for partying and family feasting. The Menus will be long with various tastings.
The main courses will include Escoveitched Fish , steamed fish, roast fish , curry goat, jerk chicken, roast lamb, rice and peas and a vegetable salad.
One of my favorite things about these festive occasions is the desert offerings. The varieties vary, which often makes it difficult to choose what to eat.
Chief among them are Easter bun paired with cheese, pone, tarts, cakes and puddings. Sometimes there is more than one type of pudding. For example, some chefs will serve sweet potato pudding while others would serve bread pudding. I like both and today I will share with you my recipe for Bread Pudding.
1 Loaf Hardo bread (any other crusty bread will do)
1/2 cup melted butter
3 eggs (beaten well)
4 cups whole milk
1/2 -3/4 cup sugar
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups raisins soaked in Rum
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a 9-inch round Pyrex baking dish with butter.
3. Pour the whole milk in a deep mixing bowl. Mix in eggs, melted butter and vanilla.
4. Break up the bread into small portions.
5. Combine the bread, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, in the mixing bowl with the liquids. Mix thoroughly until mushy.
6. Pour into the baking dish.
7. Pour mixture in the baking Pyrex dish.
8. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
9. You can test if it is baked by inserting a small knife in the middle until it comes out clean.
Serve warm or cool. This dessert is best served with rum and raisin Ice cream or with whipped cream and rum.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Minna LaFortune is a trained Caribbean caterer and also president of the Society for the Advancement of the Caribbean Diaspora (SACD). Check out her food group on Facebook at www.facebook.com/groups/bestfoodscaribbean/
- Three Caribbean Nationals Among 76 Busted By ICE In Florida
- Cocaine Taped To Legs Found On Two Dominican Republic Nationals
- Caribbean Immigrant With Sexual Assault Warrant Nabbed At Boston Airport
- Good News for Caribbean Integration or Not?
- INSPIRE Act Focuses On “Nassau” Says Ivanka Trump
- Finding Caribbean Food In Philadelphia