News Americas, MIAMI, FL, Fri. Aug. 3, 2018: Pone is considered a dessert and is a tasty treat made from cassava root or yuca. You can purchase cassava pone at many Caribbean American and Caribbean bakeries but making your own is always best. Here’s our recipe for cassava pone.
3 cups grated cassava or yuca root
2 cups grated coconut
1½ cup sugar
¼ lb seedless raisins
3 cups milk
¼ lb shortening (melted)
½ teaspoon orange peel
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1½ teaspoon mixed spice
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted shortening, milk, beaten eggs and essence.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased shallow baking pan or dish.
- Glaze with sugar and water.
- Bake at 300°F for 1½ hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then slice into squares and enjoy!