News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. July 27, 2018: With the heat stifling in many U.S. cities, we offer this recipe this week for a refreshing Caribbean beverage that is also healthy and a good liver cleanser. Here is our recipe for Tamarind Drink.
- 2 cups tamarind pulp
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- honey (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (to taste) (optional)
- In a teakettle bring water to a boil.
- Place the tamarind pulp in a heatproof mixing bowl or baking dish.
- Add lime juice if using it.
- Pour boiling water over the tamarind.
- Stir in sugar and/or honey.
- Cover and allow to stand several hours or overnight.
- Strain the tamarind water through a strainer or clean cloth.
- Dilute with more water and add more sugar or honey to taste.
- Refrigerate and serve over ice.
- As variations, a few spoonfuls of cinnamon, vanilla, or grated ginger may be combined with the tamarind pulp before the water is added.