News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. Dec. 20, 2013: Twas the night before Christmas …
When all through The White House
Not a creature was stirring except for the mice
The stockings were not hung by the chimney with care
The Obamas were in Hawaii enjoying the Sun
The rest of us were left back here to pay for their fun
Almost all of it at government expense so
The images that danced in Barack Obama’s head
Were not the costs for Air Force One nor
All the elves that accompanied him there.
WAIT A MINUTE …..
Barack, and Michelle and the kids are still in Washington, DC, packing for the big trip coming very soon, so let’s save their version of The Night Before Christmas until they get there. Or maybe not!
For now, there is still time to prepare a wish list that we can send to President Obama instead of St. Nick, since Barack has so much more power and all year long not just one night a year. Even more Obama owes us big time after giving us “coal” the last 5 years instead of the Change he promised.
Ho, Ho, Ho and woe for us.
Washington, D.C. is a fine place to be during the Christmas Season if you are a member of the DC elite, Democrat or Republican it really does not matter at the personal level. It is Fat City for all of them all year round but at Christmas there are also the never ending luxurious private parties to attend, just to remind themselves how blessed and pampered they are.
Then there are the series of White House Christmas Parties in December hosted by Barack & Michelle Obama that you will never be invited to attend. Who do you think you are? Being a lowly U.S. citizen won’t do. These White House shindigs with The White House decorated for the Season in splendor you can only dream about again because you are NOT invited …. It is something to behold I have heard …
Although all that is just window dressing since the real purpose of going to The White House during December is to find your self among the other Elites who have the President’s stamp of approval by being invited. So everyone knows who is who right now in Washington, DC.
It so also a wonderful opportunity to mingle with members of the Elite you aren’t close to and don’t see that often. The chance to make personal deals in the privacy of The White House (except for the NSA bugs) out of sight of prying eyes who don’t fully appreciate how Washington works and who the government is built to serve those with the most who keep grabbing more.
HO! HO! HO! It’s nice to be rich and powerful in Washington, DC.
But let’s get back to our purpose to prepare a Christmas with list we can give to President Obama before he leaves for Hawaii very soon …
Let’s see what do we need …..
Well health care is in the news right now, how about ..
1) REAL health care reform a “single payer” system as every other major country has real health care for all instead of Obamacare his Christmas gift to the medical and insurance industries.
OK let’s put that on the List. What else?
2) REAL tax reform – something Obama does not have on his own list. Not some phony changes he touts. Eliminate all tax breaks for wealthy individuals and corporations give all that tax money back to the rest of us.
3) NO more spying on Americans. Eliminate all the NSA abuses that Obama has allowed to flourish for his for his first 5 years.
Sorry this list can’t be as long as it should since we need to get this to The White House before Barack and family dash for Air Force One and Hawaii.
4) REAL immigration reform and a 3 – 5 year path to citizenship for all immigrants here now who do not have criminal records instead of the BS bill supposedly ever so slowly working its way through Congress or is not that Obama isn’t even pushing hard to get passed. We need something far better.
Let’s not forget …
5) NO Keystone XL Pipeline which Obama continues to look for some way to slip approval past the legions of those opposed to this environment destroying worthless proposal to pump billions of barrels of the world’s dirtiest coal Canadian tar sands coal to the U.S.
Talk about getting a lump of dirty coal for Christmas. No way Keystone.
There is so, so much more that should be on this Santa Wish List but …
I am truly worried Barack Obama may slip out of Washington even earlier than expected for Hawaii this Christmas since he got a “late” start last year if you remember because of some “nonsense” going on in Congress, sending Michelle and the kids ahead of him on another big government jet before he could board Air Force One and join them in the sun.
OK just one more a big one …
6) STOP handing us Bullshit about ending inequality in America do something real about it Mr. President. STOP taxing Americans who can’t afford it .. if nothing else END the payroll and other federal income taxes for Americans making less than $100,000 annually and STOP taxing investment income artificially lower than other income. And STOP the scandal of “carried interest” which is nothing but an outrageous way for the super rich to avoid billions in taxes they should be paying.
None of this is will happen, except maybe NO Keystone Pipeline. Maybe!
But it is Christmastime … a time to dream of a better world and a President Barack Obama that is not he one we got. Rather who we believed we would.
Maybe someday Christmas in Washington will be different. Don’t bet on it. All we will get is a President who does not fly to Hawaii for Christmas.
Not much in that for us. It will save us some money we will never see.
So if nothing else – and there isn’t – let’s end this Christmas episode with a version of the final verses from “Twas The Night Before Christmas” …
Obama sprang to his plane, to his Secret Service gave a whistle, And away they all flew far away to Hawaii. But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he flew out of sight, ”Happy Christmas to me Barack, and to myself a good-night!”
About The Writer: Arthur Piccolo is a professional writer and commentator and often writes about Latin America for New Americas.