It is Fort Louis in the French Caribbean island of St. Martin. Fort Louis stands over the city offering fantastic views of both Marigot and the island of nearby Anguilla. Visitors are able to take in the views, and learn about this mighty garrison that has been standing guard for over two-hundred years. Partially in ruins, the fort still gives tourists an idea of what it took to protect the surrounding area.
Fort Louis was built in 1789 by the locals in the town, on the orders of Jean Sebastian de Durat, who was governor of St Martin and St Barth, for the king of France at the time.Its primary function was to defend the harbour warehouses where goods were stored (salt, coffee, sugar cane, and rum). Later the fort was abandoned and fell into ruin.
In the 19th century it was restored once more, only to be abandoned again. During this period it was also the site of battle between the French and the English, as the latter regularly came across from Anguilla to raid the warehouses.