News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. Sept. 28, 2018: Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro this week used his address at the United Nations General Assembly to accuse the US and its allies of trying to assassinate him.
Maduro’s claims came after the US Treasury Department imposed financial sanctions on Venezuela’s First Lady, Cilia Flores as well as the country’s Vice President and its Communications and Defense Ministers.
The move came just over a year after Maduro had his assets frozen by the US government.
The Treasury Dept. said it will continue to impose a financial toll on those responsible for Venezuela’s tragic decline, and the networks and front men they use to mask their illicit wealth.
Maduro in a televised address called the US cowards and on Wednesday he did not hold back.
President Maduro said that 28 people had been convicted of the “terrorist plot” and that the investigation proved the attack had been financed and planned in the United States and Colombia.
Both nations have denied knowledge and involvement.
Even so, Maduro called the alleged assassination attempt “the most serious attack our country has seen in its political history because of its implications. … They wanted to decapitate the entire high command.”
He also said the move was to end his “socialist revolution” and seize Venezuela’s vast oil and mineral wealth.
He also invited the United Nations — and even the FBI — to investigate the attempt “and discover the truth.”