By Chef Winston Williams
News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. June 17, 2022: It’s the 16th annual Caribbean American Heritage Month. Here is a recipe that will have you cooking like a pro this CAHM. It’s conch fritters with a dipping sauce.
1 quart oil for frying
1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper
1/2 cup Spanish onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 lb ground conch
1 tsp fresh thyme
3 tbsp chopped parsley
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup all-purpose fl our
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot or deep fryer to 350°F.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add all peppers, garlic, onions, and celery; pulse quickly 10–15 times.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add conch, thyme, and parsley to bowl; combine well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine milk and eggs.
- Add milk-egg mixture to conch mixture, combine well.
- Combine fl our, baking powder, and salt separately (dry mix).
- Fold the dry mix into the conch mixture to form the batter.
- Using a tablespoon, drop the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
For Dipping Sauce, combine
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 tsp lemon pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
*Recipe from Publix Aprons Recipe
EDITOR’S NOTE: Paulette Daley grew up in the Tweedside district of Clarendon, Jamaica. She is a mother of four, a grandmother of nine, and a great-grandmother of one. Her love language is cooking Jamaican food to feed her family, her many relatives, and friends. Her favorite dish to cook is oxtails served with rice and gungo peas.