News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. Mar. 19, 2021: The Irish may have Cabbage, potatoes and Roast Beef but in Guyana, many know curried cabbage. You can also add meat to this dish as in beef or chicken or simply do a vegan version with potatoes. Here’s how to make curried cabbage and potatoes:
2 potatoes, peeled, washed and cubed.
1 medium cabbage, approximately 1lb, chopped.
1 med. tomato, chopped
1 med. onion, chopped
4 fegs garlic, finely chopped
1 scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded and chopped
2-3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
4 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground geera powder
2 tablespoons of curry powder
salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a heavy Dutch Oven pot.
2. Add chopped onions and cook for 1 min.
3. Add chopped garlic and cook for 30 secs.
4. Add the potatoes to the pan and stir until the pieces are coated with the onion/garlic oil.
5. Add salt and stir again, turning down the heat to med low. Allow the potatoes to fry for about 2 minutes.
6. While that is frying combine turmeric, geera, masala and curried powder and add a bit of water to make a paste
7. Add the curried paste to the potatoes and coat completely
8. Add the chopped cabbage and chopped tomatoes and stir until also evenly coated.
9: Cover pot again and allow to cook until potatoes are completely cooked.
11. Remove from heat and serve hot with roti or rice.