News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. Fri. Feb. 28, 2020: This week we spotlight on a popular snack or dessert recipe from the oil rich South American CARICOM nation of Guyana. It’s pine tarts and here’s how you can make it at home.
For the Pineapple Filling
425g Pineapple Chunks (or fresh pineapple chunks)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
For the Pastry
1/2 cup salted butter (soft)
1/2 cup of vegetable shortening
2 3/4 cups plain flour
2 tsp sugar
A pinch of salt
1 egg (for the egg wash)
3/4 cup ice cold water
1. If you are using fresh pineapple, then peel and cut the pineapple into large chunks and transfer into a food blender, pulsate for a minute until you have small lumps. You want to then measure out 2 1/2 cups of pineapple from that to use in the filling.
2. If using pineapple from a can, take the fruit and half of the juice and pulsate in the blender until you have small lumps.
3. Place the fruit into a sauce pan with the remaining juice and the spices and sugar. Simmer slowly for 30 mins under a low to medium heat or until the mixture thickens to a jam like consistency. Keep stirring regularly to avoid it burning. When ready, remove from the heat and set aside to cool down completely.
4. Place the flour, butter, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix together until it forms a crumbly texture. Then little by little, add the cold water until you can form a dough. Knead the dough to a smooth log (about a foot long), wrap in cling film and refrigerate for between 30 minutes and 4 hours before use. When you are ready to use it, leave the dough out the fridge for about 30 minutes to get to room temperature.
5. Cut the log into 1-inch thick rounds, flour your work surface and roll the dough out into a 6″ circle (I used a plate).
6. Place 1 1/2 tablespoon of pineapple filling into the middle of the circle and brush the edges with egg wash.
7. Fold the corners of the dough into the middle, to form a triangle. ensure the ends are sealed, you can use a fork to do this.
8. Brush the top with egg wash.
9. Bake in the oven (Gas Mark 5) for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Serve warm or cold.