News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. Feb. 17, 2017: Ackee is a very versatile fruit that is used in many Jamaican dishes. I has a bland taste and is usually paired with cod fish. Ackee and cod fish is the national dish of Jamaica.
It is usually served with fried dumplings, avocado, and fried plantains, for breakfast or with boiled dumplings for lunch or with rice and peas for dinner.
While I love all these Ackee and cod fish dishes, one of my favorite dish is Ackee and codfish cooked with white rice as a one pot meal. This dish is actually called Seasoned Rice. Here is the recipe.
1 lb. cod fish
2 tins Ackee (or whole Ackee)
1 large pepper, green
2 large Onions
3 sprigs Thyme
1 Scotch bonnet pepper ( minced )
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 cup coconut oil
2lbs Basmati Rice
2 cups of Fresh Coconut Milk
1. Allow codfish to soak overnight, change water about 2 times.
2. Cook Ackee until tender. Drain.
3. Cook Cod Fish separately until tender. Drain and flake in small pieces.
4. in a Deep Dutch pot Heat the oil and sauté all the seasonings, (diced pepper, tomato, onion and scallion.)
5. Pour Ackee into skillet with sautéed seasonings over medium heat.
6. Add minced codfish flakes.
7. Add thyme and black pepper
8. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes.
9. Wash rice and add to the Ackee and Cod Fish. Mix thoroughly.
10. Add 2 cups of coconut milk. Bring to a boil and allow rice and Ackee and cod fish mixture to steam.
11. When rice is cooked, serve with Avocado.