News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. Nov. 9, 2018: This week our Caribbean food spotlight focuses on the twin-island Republic of Trinidad and Tobago and its delicious Breadfruit Casserole. Here’s the recipe for this tasty delight that you can try this weekend.
- 1 breadfruit, peeled and diced (You can get this in any Asian Supermarket or where West Indian products are sold in the US, Canada or the UK)
- 3 Tbsps. Butter or margarine
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 sweet pepper diced finely
- 1 can of sausage or diced sausage of your choice.
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup frozen or canned mixed vegetables
- 2 tsps. Paprika
- Salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place diced breadfruit in a buttered dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine and add milk in a saucepan.
- Add in onions, sweet pepper, vegetables and sausage and bring to a boil.
- Pour over breadfruit until dish is filled.
- Dot with remaining 1 tablespoon margarine and sprinkle with paprika and black pepper and bake until breadfruit is cooked through and tender and dish is golden on top.