News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. April 19, 2019: It’s Easter weekend in the Caribbean and that also means bun time. In Jamaica, Spice Bun and Easter are almost synonymous. This highly spiced Jamaican sweet bread is soft, tender and studded with raisins and fruits and is a delight anytime! Here’s what you will need to make it:
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (or 50 grams)
- ¼ cup honey (or 85 grams)
- 1 teaspoon browning.
- ½ tablespoon Molasses
- teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup Guinness Stout
- 1 egg
- cup dried fruits cherries, raisin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2- tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoon spice combination nutmeg, cinnamon and all spice
- 1 cup cherries optional to top bun
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, honey, browning, molasses, vanilla, melted butter Guinness Stout and the egg.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon allspice and salt and lightly mix.
- Add in the dried fruits
- Then combine wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan, add cherries on top if desired and bake for about 60-75 minutes or until a tooth inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool before slicing and serve with cheese.