News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. Nov. 1, 2018: Our unique Caribbean recipe this week comes from Dutch side of Sint Maarten and it is a special dish served at holidays and special occasions. Here’s the recipe for Chicken Lokri.
25 Oz. Boneless Chicken, cut into bite size pieces
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
2 Stalks Celery, chopped
2 Tomatoes, chopped
2 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 Onion, chopped
A few sprigs of thyme
2 3/4 cups water
1 1/3 cup rice
1/2 head small cabbage, chopped
A few dashes of hot sauce
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add chicken and fry until golden brown.
- Add tomato paste and brown sugar. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire, celery, tomatoes, garlic and onion. Stir to combine.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and stir to combine. Cover and simmer until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- In a skillet, melt remaining butter.
- Add cabbage and cook until softened, but still crisp.
- Adjust salt and pepper, as necessary.
- Add sautéed cabbage and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
Serve hot with a side of fried ripe plantains.